The UPA is now "USA Ultimate"!!

The UPA is now "USA Ultimate"!!
The UPA has changed its name from the UPA(the Ultimate Players Association) to USA Ultimate

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Well, We're here

I am going to keep this post simple and to the point.

Here is my hour by hour chain of events from the drive from Dayton, Ohio to Tampa, Florida.

Things that happened before 12:00 AM Thursday:

Sam Newell and Jordan Manke's flights were cancelled. They were unable to secure alternative forms of transportation and will not be able to make it this weekend.

12:00 AM - A Pontiac G6 and Honda Odyssey consisting of 9 Ghetto Forcers leave 410 Stonemill Road. Road conditions are good and spirits are high.
2:00 AM - Rapsheet lands in Tampa, Florida.
3:00 AM - The land transport vehicles make it to the mountains in Kentucky. This would normally not be a problem except mother nature decided to start snowing. Quoting concerns over my own life, I turned the reins over to Dylan Corwin who man moded it through the mountains. He made that Pontiac drive like a snow plow. In fact, he drove it better than a snow plow as we saw 2 stranded on the side of the road. It was at this point that I started to wonder if I was going to die.
4:00 AM - Waffle house. An older gentleman from Tennessee laughs at us for driving through the storm as he climbs into the cab of his 4X4 Ford F-350.
5:00 AM - We escape the mountains. Barely.
9:00 AM - Tennessee was thankfully uneventful and the roads were well maintained.
10:00 AM - Atlanta, Georgia was hilariously shut down. 2 lanes were open all the way through the city yet I saw:
  • At least 20+ abandoned cars
  • <10 Cars on the road with Georgia license plates
  • The 10 Georgia Cars that were on the road had (I shit you not) chains on their tire. Chains.
  • A semi truck on its side with the driver standing beside it, staring at it, and scratching his head.
11:00 AM - We stopped at a chicken restaurant called "Zaxbys" which was like a really average version of Cane's chicken
12:00 PM - After several enticing billboards offering Pecans and Strippers throughout South Georgia (with Trucker Parking in rear!), we cross the state line into Florida. It was only slightly before this state boundary that we saw the last vestiges of snow on the ground. It was at this point that we learned that Mark Fedorenko had been rerouted to Orlando. Alan's van goes to go pick him up.
2:00 PM - Word comes in that Jack Hanson and Peaches' flights have been cancelled, They will be missing the tournament as well. I cry large crocodile tears. 
4:00 PM - My car finally makes it to the hotel except the hotel could not follow simple instructions that John Bayer had dictated which would allow me to check in. Therefore we dropped Ian and Dylan off in order to...
6:00 PM - We pick up Rapsheet from the airport (after we sat in traffic for 2 more awesome hours)
7:00 PM - I eat at Chile's and had desert. I forgot at this point that it was still Thursday.
9:30 PM - I pick up John Bayer from the airport bringing up my total car time on the day to about 18 hours.

We start playing tomorrow at 9:00, I should have a blog post up recap for each day so please keep coming back. Everything that could possibly go wrong has already gone wrong. With logic like that, we will have to start clearing room in my Pontiac for a new trophy.

Shout Out to Steve Jira, Brandon Rush, and Dylan Corwin who helped Alan and I drive. 

Step aside Robinson Crusoe. At least your desert island didn't have snow on it.

No comments: